Come as You Are

An artist wanted a man for a model who would represent the prodigal. One day he met a wretched beggar, and he thought: “That man would represent the prodigal.” He found the beggar ready to sit for his painting if he would pay him. The man appeared on the day appointed, but the artist did not recognize him. He said: “You made an appointment with me.” “No,” responded the artist, “I never saw you before.” “You are mistaken; you did see me, and made an appointment with me.” “No; it must have been some other artist. I have an appointment to meet a beggar here at this hour.” “Well,” said the beggar, “I am the man.” “You the man?” “Yes.” “What have you been doing?” “Well, I thought I would get a new suit of clothes before I got painted.” “Oh,” replied the artist; “I don’t want you.”
And so if you are coming to God, come just as you are. Do not go and put on some garments of your own. Do not try to make yourself more acceptable to God. All your “put on” righteousness will not avail. Come just as your are. Come with all your crimes. Come with your broken vows. Come with your lost opportunities. Come with your hardened heart. Come with your crushing burden. Come, come just as you are.

Popular posts from this blog

The Spiritual Skeleton

Can’t Dispute Facts