The Death of John Huss

When John Huss, the Bohemian martyr, was brought out to be burned, they put on his head a triple crown of paper, with painted devils on it.
On seeing it, he said, “My Lord Jesus Christ, for my sake, wore a crown of thorns; why should not I, then, for His sake, wear this light crown, be it ever so ignominious? Truly I will do it, and that willingly.” When it was set upon his head, the bishops said, “Now we commend thy soul to the devil. “But,” said Huss, lifting his eyes to heaven, “I do commit my spirit into thy hands, O Lord Jesus Christ; to Thee I commend my spirit which Thou hast redeemed.” When the torches were piled to Huss’ neck, the Duke of Bavaria was officious enough to desire him to adjure. “No,” said Huss, “I never preached any doctrine of evil tendency; and what I taught with my lips I now seal with my blood.”

Popular posts from this blog

The Spiritual Skeleton

Can’t Dispute Facts