God’s Bounty to Men

For a long time a gentleman used to drop a penny into the hat of a poor beggar who sat by a church door in Madrid. For a week, however, the gentleman was confined to his house by illness. When he was able to return to business he put the usual coin into the hat of the beggar. “Pardon me, señor,” said the latter; “have you not a little account to settle with me?
You have not been this way for more than a week. You owe me at least seven pence.” “Be gone!” replied the gentleman. “My gifts are alms, not salary. I owe you nothing.” Let us beware lest the regularity with which God sends His gifts to us causes us to look upon them as our lawful right instead of the unmerited bounty of our Heavenly Father.

Popular posts from this blog

The Spiritual Skeleton

Can’t Dispute Facts