An Impertinent Question

On a train one summer a young girl was boiling over with indignation at a preacher who had been asking her some plain questions about her soul. “Why, he even asked me if I were sure I was really on the road to heaven,” she said. “He had no right to talk like that to me, and to make me feel perfectly dreadful.”
“What did the brakeman say to you when you boarded the train?” her friend asked.
“Why, he only asked me where I was going.”
“And you didn’t mind it at all. You knew that he was asking you to save you from a possible mistake. The preacher had the same motive, only the case was a good deal more serious.”
The young woman is only one of a very large class, who consider it an intrusion when you concern yourselves about their lack of concern. There is one thing here worth noting: whenever questions like these are disturbing us, it is pretty conclusive proof that we are shutting our eyes to danger.

Popular posts from this blog

The Spiritual Skeleton

Can’t Dispute Facts