Won by His Wife’s Faith

Spurgeon relates:
“I have read the story of a man who was converted to God by seeing the conduct of his wife in the hour of trouble. They had a lovely child, their only offspring. The father’s heart doted on her perpetually, and the mother’s soul was knit up in the heart of the little one. The baby lay sick upon her bed, and the parents watched her night and day. At last the infant died. The father had no God; he rent his hair, he rolled upon the floor in misery, wallowed upon the earth, cursing his being, and defying God in the utter casting down of his agony. There sat his wife, as fond of the child as ever he could be; and though tears would come, she gently said, ‘The Lord gave, and the Lord hath taken away; blessed be the name of the Lord.’ ‘What,’ said he, starting to his feet, ‘you love that child! I thought that when that child died it would break your heart. Here am I, a strong man; I am mad: here are you, a weak woman, and yet you are strong and bold; tell me what it is that possesses you?’ She said, ‘Christ is my Lord, I trust in him; surely I can give this child to him who gave himself for me.’ From that instant the man became a believer. ‘There must,’ said he, ‘be some truth and some power in the gospel, which could lead you to believe in such a manner, under such a trial.’

Popular posts from this blog

The Spiritual Skeleton

Can’t Dispute Facts