He Holds My Hand

As a boy in Oklahoma my family would spend a lot of time on the creeks and rivers. As a small boy my Dad would take me by the hand and would wade out to the sandbar in the streams. The swift water was dark and often over my head, but how I loved and enjoyed the water, because of my father’s hand. My father is dead, and if asked, “What do you miss about your Dad?” it would be his hand.

All of us today do have a hand we can hold on to. It is the hand of God. We can remember the words of the Psalms: “If I take the wings of the morning, and dwell in the uttermost parts of the sea; even there shall thy hand lead me, and thy right hand shall hold me” (139:9, 10).

Today we must take hold of the right thing in our life, for holding on to the wrong thing will end in death. The story is told of a sailor on one of the sailing ships of the last century. He tumbled out of the rigging. In his fall he caught with both hands a rope; and observers said, he is saved! But the rope itself had no fastening, and he fell further and faster as the rope played out, till he struck the deck a mangled mass. A man may attempt to save himself by will-power; but what if the will itself has no hold on God!

Proverbs 16:25 says, “There is a way that seemeth right unto a man; but the end thereof are the ways of death.”

Popular posts from this blog

The Spiritual Skeleton

Can’t Dispute Facts