Heavenly View of Earthly Dangers

I remember, once, when I was treading a Western forest at twilight, I came towards a little opening, I saw a man lurking on the edge of the forest, with a rifle drawn at me. Although I was a really brave man, my blood ran cold. There I was, sitting up on the horse, a fair mark for a man that was standing and taking deadly aim at me; and I was at a great disadvantage. I did not laugh, for I had not gotten over my shock, when I came up to the spot and found, instead of a man with a rifle, only a tree with a branch pointing towards me; but afterwards I laughed, to think what I had been so frightened at, and what a shock it sent through me.

When men get to heaven, and find what many of those things were which stood aiming at them in this life; when they find what sort of make-believe dangers those were which threatened them, I think they will laugh. And we shall look back on the vision of life, and all its fantastic imaginings, with wonder and gladness—with sorrow for ourselves, but with joy and gratitude to God, who brought us through the dangers of the way, and finally saved us.

Popular posts from this blog

The Spiritual Skeleton

Can’t Dispute Facts