Great Heroism

General Elliott, governor of Gibraltar during the siege of that fortress, was making a tour of inspection to see that all under his control was in order, when he suddenly came upon a German soldier standing at his post silent and still, but he neither held his musket nor presented his arms when the general approached.
Struck with the neglect and unable to account for it, he exclaimed, “Do you know me, sentinel, or why do you neglect your duty?”
The soldier answered respectfully: “I know you well, general, and my duty also; but within the last few minutes two of the fingers of my right hand have been shot off, and I am unable to hold my musket.”
“Why do you not go and have them bound up, then?” asked the general.
“Because,” answered the soldier, “in Germany a man is forbidden to quit his post until he is relieved by another.”
The general instantly dismounted his horse. “Now, friend,” he said, “give me your musket, and I will relieve you. Go and get your wounds attended to.”
The soldier obeyed, but went to the nearest guardhouse, where he told how the general stood at his post; and not till then did he go to the hospital and get his bleeding hand dressed. This injury completely unfitted him for active service; but the news of it having reached England, whither the wounded man had been sent, King George III expressed a desire to see him, and for his bravery made him an officer.

Popular posts from this blog

The Spiritual Skeleton

Can’t Dispute Facts