Obedience Better than Sacrifice

A wealthy man called on his dentist in great distress over a broken front tooth. The dentist told him it must come out. “No, no, you must build it up,” exclaimed the man of riches. “I can’t spare that tooth. Its removal would make my mouth look like an open port-hole.” “Oh, well, I can replace it,” complacently answered the dentist. “The old one must certainly come out, but I will put in a new one that will make you look better than ever before. It will be firm and regular and much more attractive than the old one.” “Ah!” muttered the wealthy man. “That’s what I want, make it as attractive as possible. Say, doctor, couldn’t you set a large diamond in the middle of it?” “Oh, no, I wouldn’t do that,” replied the dentist, hastily. “Of course I know you can well afford it, but it would look—well, just a trifle too conspicuous, don’t you know.” Perhaps the rich man was only joking, but there are a good many people who wear their profession of religion like that. It is all show and display, and no loving obedience or humble service in it. One ounce of obedience is worth a ton of showy sacrifice.

Popular posts from this blog

The Spiritual Skeleton

Can’t Dispute Facts