Friend in Need

I read of a boy that left home to make a way for himself in the world. As many before him, so had he wasted his substance, and the inevitable time of reckoning came. He sought assistance from friends and companions, but in a little while they all grew tired of helping him. In his last distress he determined to write home. “Dear Father,” the pathetic appeal ran, “I am ill and undone. I have been foolish and sinful and have forgotten the spirit of your home. I want to get well, live right and be a man. But I cannot unless you help me. I deeply need your help, and I think you love me enough to forgive all, and to help me now. Will you come?” The next train found that father speeding on his way to his needy son, to put his strength, his character, his resources at the service of the son who was to be placed once more on the road to manhood. That father was a paraclete, a called one, a friend that soothes and strengthens and inspires. It was in this sense that the Greeks used the word “paraclete,” a word forever consecrated by the Lord in applying to Himself and to the Holy Spirit. For He does apply the word to Himself when He calls the Holy Spirit “another Paraclete.”

Popular posts from this blog

The Spiritual Skeleton

Can’t Dispute Facts