Value of United Worship

At a meeting of the Board of Overseers of Harvard College a proposition was made to absolve the students from daily attendance at Chapel. After a number of younger men had argued in its favor, Ralph Waldo Emerson spoke, “Religious worship is the most important single function of the life of any people. I derived more benefit from the Chapel service when I was in College than from any, perhaps from all, other exercises which I attended. When I am in Europe I go on every occasion to join in the religious service of the people of the town in which I am. For this reason I should be sorry to see the attendance at Chapel made to vary with the wishes at the moment of the young men.” After this no one cared to speak, and as long as he lived, compulsory attendance was maintained.

Popular posts from this blog

The Spiritual Skeleton

Can’t Dispute Facts